Inside the Mind

Monday, August 25, 2008

Yesterday was warm but nice - today was much more like what I'm used to when visiting DC - hot and humid. Of course, the fact that I walked about 11 miles contributed to my sweat-soaked look. I started the day on a series of buses and trains to the National Zoo. The grounds open at 6 and the buildings at 10 - they recommend you come early to avoid the crowds. What they forget to tell you, however, is that they've got most of the animals locked up inside so that they can work on exhibits until almost 10. Oh, well. The most important animal was out and about and unbelievably adorable. Say hello to Tai Shan:

I fell completely in love with him - I have NO idea how many pictures I took of him -I got a few videos, too. I did develop a new appreciation for the Sedgwick County Zoo, though - with the exception of the pandas, the invertebrate building and the O Line - the monkeys use it to roam freely between their various residences in the zoo - directly over the heads of zoo visitors - our zoo is MUCH better. I was surprised.

After the zoo, I headed back to the Metro and, feeling exceptionally brave, I headed to Chinatown for lunch - I had some very yummy Hunan Chicken, fried rice and a spring roll for only $5.00 at this place: In Chinatown, of course, everything is in Chinese - I took this picture for Candy:

I stopped at the International Spy Museum gift shop (did the museum itself last time), wandered past the FBI building to the National Archives where I saw the Emancipation Proclamation, Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights. After that, I went across the street to the Museum of Natural History to visit the Hope Diamond, then back to the Metro to head to Union Station. I did a little shopping, had a snack and then headed back to the resort for dinner. I had a very expensive, but VERY yummy all-you-can-eat gourmet Italian buffet here in the hotel called the Pienza Italian Market Restaurant.

Well, I've got to take a shower - here's one more picture for the road - Friendship Gate in Chinatown:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home